GLRPPR Conferences and Training
- There are no events currently scheduled.
- 2017 Triple Regional Pollution Prevention Roundtable, held May 2-4, 2017 in Minneapolis, MN.
- 2015 Triple Regional Pollution Prevention Roundtable, held March 31-April 2, 2015 in St. Louis, MO.
- March 2014 Great Lakes Regional Pollution Prevention Roundtable Meeting, held March 31, 2014 in Cleveland, OH. [State updates]
- September 2013 Great Lakes Regional Pollution Prevention Roundtable Annual Meeting, held September 24, 2013 in Plainfield, IN.
- 2012 Great Lakes Regional Pollution Prevention Roundtable Annual update, held August 15, 2012 in Chicago, IL. This meeting was also broadcast as a webinar. See the recap page for a link to the archive.
- Region 5 P2 Web Meeting - March 17th, 2010
- The 2009 Region 5 and 7 Joint Conference, held June 3-5, 2009 in Indianapolis, IN
- The 2008 Region 5 and 7 Joint Conference, held April 9-11 at Omaha, NE.
- 2007 Great Lakes/Great Plains P2 Conference, held March 13-14 at US EPA's office building in Chicago.
- 2006 Strategic Planning Meeting, held February 22-23 in Chicago, Illinois
- 2005 Summer Conference, held August 25-26 in New York, New York
- 2005 Winter Conference, held March 9 in Chicago, Illinois
- 2004 Conference, held September 23-24 in Columbus, Ohio
- 2003 Summer Conference, held August 6-8, 2003 in Erie, PA
- 2003 Winter Conference, held March 5-6, 2003 in Chicago, IL
- 2002 Summer Conference, held August 26-28, 2002 in Toronto, Canada
- 2002 Winter Conference, held in Chicago, IL
- Previous Conference Attendees
Pollution Prevention: Region 5 Hazardous Substance Reduction on the Path to Greener Chemistry
In December 2013, U.S. EPA Region 5 hosted a one-day hazardous substance reduction training workshop for the region's pollution prevention technical assistance providers. This training included four modules, links to which are provided below.
- Articulate how the P2 definition has evolved over time
- Articulate the difference between green chemistry and green engineering
- Increase use of EPA's P2 Calculator to calculate greenhouse gas reductions related to certain chemicals substitutions.
- Increase use of resources to identify safer chemical alternatives to hazardous substance usage
Presentation not included in module
- Increase use of process analysis and process mapping to identify hazardous substance reduction assessment opportunities
- Adoption of best management practices to reduce the use of hazardous chemicals
- Increase use of regulatory databases to identify facilities using chemicals of concern and who may benefit from a hazardous substance reduction P2 assessment
- Articulate the benefits and challenges of targeting sectors, rather than individual facilities, to address chemicals of concern
- Increase use of the Toxic Release Inventory database to identify sector-wide P2 practices that have resulted in hazardous substance reductions
Hosts for these conferences were the Great Lakes Regional Pollution Prevention Roundtable, Great Lakes Green Chemistry Network, University of Illinois, Illinois Sustainable Technology Center, Clean Production Action, GreenScreen, National Pollution Prevention Prevention Roundtable, and the Safer Chemistry Challenge Program. These conferences were funded through a Great Lakes Restoration Initiative Grant.
- 2014 Great Lakes Green Chemistry Conference: Innovating for Success
- 2012 Catching the Wave - Green Chemistry and Economic Development in the Great Lakes Region
GLRPPR Executive Director Laura L. Barnes has worked extensively with librarians who are interested in greening their operations and becoming sustainability leaders in their communities. A collection of her papers, presentations, webinar archives, and resource guides is available on the Prairie Research Institute Library web site.
See the webinar archive above for the link to presentation slides and the recording for her October 28, 2014 webinar.